Pray First, Often, and Always!

Evening and morning and at noon
I will pray, and cry aloud,
And He shall hear my voice.
Psalm 55:17

While many believers sincerely desire to spend time with God in prayer, few actually do. Spiritual discipline is necessary to make prayer a priority in our lives. God, however, has made prayer a priority—directing his children to pray first, often and always. Therefore, prayer should become a priority for us!

Scripture speaks repeatedly of the importance of prayer. Paul says to pray about everything (Philippians 4:6). Believers should make all requests known to God. In addition, believers are admonished to pray regularly and frequently. David promised the Lord, “Evening, morning and noon I cry out” (Psalm 55:17). Jesus prayed for extended periods of time, especially when making important decisions (Luke 6:12). Certainly when facing challenges or trials, a believer should pray (James 5:13). Paul exhorted the Christians in Thessalonica to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Prayer becomes not only an attitude of the heart but also a continual dialogue with the Lord.

When praying, take time to be still and hear a word from God (Psalm 46:10). The Bible dictates no specific time or place for prayer. However, a believer may find it easier to maintain the priority of prayer when she establishes a definite time and place to pray as part of her daily schedule (Luke 18:1).

Prayer should occupy a place in the heart; it also needs a place in the home. While every believer does not need a prayer closet (Matthew 6:6), all believers should have a place of solitude free from distraction in order to pray in private.

To help make prayer a priority, you may want to use a prayer journal or devotional book or write out a prayer list and revise it often. Share your commitment to prayer with others, both to encourage them and to hold yourself accountable for praying regularly.

Drawn from a Topical Note in The Woman’s Study Bible.

What are your biggest challenges in making prayer a priority?

Comments

comments

10 Comments

• Dr Tony Tumbosh says:

I like the simpilicity of the contents.

• Diane Ricciardi Stewart says:

I spend anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 or 3 hours in prayer — reading and meditating on scripture and devotional booklets. I began doing this about one year ago. Up until then, I had just said nightly prayers before going to sleep. This has made a tremendous impact on my life — for the better!! I find myself talking to the Lord anywhere, everywhere — and as often as possible!! Prayers and praising has truly made a difference in my life for the better, and I will NEVER go without it EVER AGAIN!!!!!!! ♥♥♥

• Nicola says:

Making prayer priority?should come first morning and noon.

• Yolanda Booker says:

Thank you for this timely message.

• Kathy says:

Thank you so much for this message, I haven’t been making prayer my priority. But with this reminder, will be down on my knees regularly.

• Ephrem Hagos says:

Making fallible David’s wishful thinking (Ps. 55:17) a model of infallible prayer by itemized obedience, as summarized, is self-deception. (Matt. 6: 9-13, 33)

• Caleb Reese says:

I do find myself at times worshipping, praising, and praying to God when situations seem well and when things don’t seem to go the way I would like for them to. I have a habit of doing this consitantly, and then just slowly do it less, and then end up not praying at all. I’m not sure if at times I sit and wait for a response from God, but it does indeed get discouraging. I enjoy my prayer life when I am indeed FULLY intuned with it

• Penny O. says:

I find it hard to reconcile all these exhortations in the bible to pray, pray, pray & the direction to not pray in public & in such a way as to draw attention to the speaker vs. the prayer need. I am not one to do public prayers but the trend is such that it seems to be “expected” by others that all people add to public prayer. I realize that I may be reading people incorrectly in this but I have also been the one person in a group of people praying who has not spoken public prayer & the “pregnant pause,” as in the group waiting for me to add my prayer too, is awkward. Again, that may not be the groups intention & just my own discomfort, but I feel it none the less. Just because I do not add to public prayer does not mean that I do not pray either. Are there any others out there who experience this same feeling sometimes?

• Shimeles says:

Thank you for the valuable message/encouragement. I suggest a kind of sequel to this one be presented wherein real challenges to a fruitful prayer life be discussed. Of course such discussion will be interesting if honest and practical enough. Of course I thank God for The HOLY SPIRIT Who “helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” Romans‬ ‭8:26‬
    God bless you all.

• Florene Sneed says:

Thank you so much for this write up about prayer it was jut what I needed to hear because of my faith in prayer I’m always fine it exciting to read about prayer.I got introduced to prayer very early in my life because of sercomstances but later I found an open door to pray not only for my self but others my faith was not where I wanted it to be but I held on too the little that I had and now God has truly blessed me with greater faith where I just want to trust him with my whole life I love spending time with him so much until when I’m drawn away not being able to just shut off with him I yearn for that precious moment I’ve found the Answer I’ve learn to pray for what ever the need is not that he answers right away but one thing I know that he is listening and he has given us all a open door and I will continue to go to him as many times as the need is there thank you Lord??